AMBOLI – THE LAND OF FLYING FROG
Amboli is a hill station in south Maharashtra, India. At an altitude of 690 m it is the last hill station before the coastal highlands of Goa and a relatively unexplored one.
Amboli lies in the Sahayadri Hills of Western India, one of the world’s “Eco Hot-Spots” and it therefore abounds in a variety of fairly unusual flora and fauna. However, as in the other parts of the Sahaydri Hills, denudation of the forest cover and unregulated government assisted “development” (read “hotels, resorts & highways”) are gradually ruining a once pristine environment.
Historically, Amboli village came into being as one of the staging posts along the road from Vengurla port to the city of Belgaum, which was extensively used by the British to supply their garrisons in south and central India.
In the hills of Amboli village lies the source of the Hiranyakeshi river, and an ancient Shiva temple (called Hiranyakeshwar) exists at the cave where the water emerges. The main attraction for tourists is the incredibly high rainfall (7 m average per year) and the numerous waterfalls and mist during the monsoons. Legend has it that there are 108 Shiva temples in and around Amboli of which only a dozen have been uncovered, one as recently as 2005. There aren’t too many places to see or things to do but it is quiet, unpolluted and the local residents are good natured and helpful.
Region Amboli Ghat, Sawantwadi
No of Days Ex – Sawantwadi 03 Days
Grade Jungle walks Easy
Type Wildlife Forest walks
|Day 1||Mumbai – Amboli||D||Hotel|
|Day 3||Amboli – Mumbai||B|
Day 1: Mumbai to Amboli
Meet the host at pick up point and transfer to Amboli Ghat. Pick up will be early morning around 07am and it would take about 8-9hrs to reach Amboli. Lunch we shall have en-route (At own cost). Upon arrival at Amboli, check in the hotel and relax for the day. Later in the evening; a small evening walk around Amboli forest and quick briefing about the wildlife of the region. Dinner will be served.
Day 2: Amboli
Wake up early as we set the day to explore the beautiful moist forest of Amboli ghat. The highlight of the day will be Flying frog, Hammer head caecilian, Indian Bush Frog, Whistling frog, Bi-colored frog, Tree frog, Malabar Whistling thrush, White rumped Shama, Pit Viper, Green tree snake, etc. Many reptiles, amphibians and birds have made this place a home and the forest come to life when the rain pours.
Breakfast & Dinner will be at hotel. (Lunch mostly packed for field)
Day 2: Amboli to Mumbai
Early morning breakfast and head out for final small trail inside the forest. Check out from the hotel and transfer to Mumbai. We shall reach back Mumbai by 07-08pm. (Lunch will be enroute at own cost)
Ex-Sawantwadi: Adult: ₹9200/- per head on twin sharing basis
Group Requisite: 05 pax
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in above mentioned hotel.
- Return transfers by Ac vehicle from Mumbai
- Meals as per mentioned in the itinerary.
- Forest trails.
- Expertise and service charges
- Leader charges
- Wildlife naturalist with group
- Additional / personal use of vehicle.
- Extended stay due to weather conditions or any situation not in human control.
- Any personal expenses, room service and special orders, mineral waters, non-alcoholic beverages, tips, phone calls, laundry etc.
- Any extra excursions or sightseeing apart from the above specified itinerary.
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
- Camera fees.
- Airfares/Rail fares
- Anything Specifically NOT mentioned in includes.
|PAYMENT SCHEDULE (Per person)|
|Advance||On or before 7 days|
|Cancellation period||Cancellation Charges on Cost|
|21 – 35 days||25%|
|21 – 14 days||50%|
|14 – 07 days||75%|
|Less than 07 days or No show||100%|
Things to Carry:
- A Hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- A dust protection mask
- Personal Bottle (To avoid plastic use – 1LtrsX2)
- Small backpack for safaris (10Ltrs)
- Bird books
- Sun screen
- Raincoat/Wind-cheater/Rain jacket (NO UMBRELLA)
- Only dull coloured clothes (Green, brown, Beige, Camouflage)
- Camera (At owners risk) with proper equipment for photography (As per need)
- Fleece/Jacket (temperatures drop in the forest to below 10 degree Celsius
- Energy bars for trails
- Wildlife safaris are a matter of luck and opportunity. No guarantee of any sighting is made. Neither of our associates will quote that, although we try our best to spot and show you as much as nature allows us to.
- Never enter the forest with an intention of spotting a single species, it will only disappoint you. The forest is a gift packet with a lot to surprise with. Listen to our naturalist for more wonderful experience.
- Our safaris are not target species specific (Unless specified)
- We explore everything we find uncommon and need to be explained.
- Any demand for spotting a single species in any jeep will not be entertained by the guide or the tour leader as there are other travellers who would want to see the birds etc.
- Respect & honour everything that is in the forest and it has to offer you.
- Enjoy being in the forest and you will feel much happier away from the concrete chaos.
- Respect the local, tribes, guards, guides, drivers, officers and all animals.
- Front seat of the Gypsy is always reserved for the Guide or Guard.
- No extra room will be made for photographers, respecting other travellers. (For photographers it is recommended to opt for higher options)
- No littering in the forest strictly. (what goes comes back the same way)
- Camera fees & guide tips to be paid separately & directly.
- Kindly follow the instructions given by the tour leader and the guide for your own safety.