Roopkund is a glacial lake nestled in the high mountains of the Uttarakhand Himalayas. It is covered in snow for most of the year, and is completely uninhabited. At a height of 16,500 feet, trekking to Roopkund Lake is tough and takes long hours of trekking each day. At some points during the trek, you’ll have ropes fixed along the climb, as well as seat harnesses and crampons, to ensure that you reach your destination in the best form. Pair this with the high altitude and the unpredictable weather, and you’ll see why this Roopkund trek is a challenging one that is not recommended for first-timers.
A shallow lake, having a depth of about two metres, Roopkund has attracted attention because of the human skeletal remains that are visible at its bottom when the snow melts. Researchers have concluded that the skeletons are the remains of people killed in a sudden, violent hailstorm in the 9th century. Because of the human remains, the lake has been called Skeleton Lake in recent times.
Region Chamoli, Uttarakhand
No of Days Ex–Kathgodam 07 Days
Trekking days 07 Days
Max Altitude Baralacha Pass (5029Mtrs)
|Day 1||Arrive Kathgodam – Lohajung||Lodge||D|
|Day 2||Lohajung – Didna Village||Guest house||B,L,D|
|Day 3||Didna – Bedni/Ali Bugyal||Camps||B,L,D|
|Day 4||Bedni – Bhagwabasa||Camps||B,L,D|
|Day 5||Bhagwabasa – Roopkund||Camps||B,L,D|
|Day 6||Roopkund – Lohajung||Camps||B,L,D|
|Day 7||Lohajung – Roopkund||B|
Day 01: Arrive Kathgodam – Lohajung
Arrive at Kathgodam station and you will be picked up by our trek representative. Drive to lohajung. Report at the meeting point and check in to the lodge for today’s rest stay. You will pass through the hills of Bhimtal & Sattal. One can opt for a short walk around as acclimatization.
Overnight stay at lodge
Day 02: Lohajung – Didna (8Kms/6Hrs)
The Roopkund trek begins today, with a walk to Didna. The trail starts with a steady climb up the Lohajung Pass, and then descends to Bedni River. The Bedni River is also known as Bedni Ganga, as it is considered sacred by the locals. After crossing a bridge, there is a gradual climb through a forest of oak and bamboo. The views from Didna are spectacular and the trail to the village is also extremely picturesque, which will delight the shutterbugs. Overnight stay in tents or homestays
Day 03: Didna – Bedni/Ali Bugyal (10kms/8Hrs)
Today’s trail is filled with steep ascents. After climbing for a bit, the majestic views of the Garhwal Himalayas will greet you. The trail then passes through a forest of bamboo and oak, eventually ending at Ali Bugyal, which is a beautiful grazing meadow that lies on top of a hill. Overnight stay is in tents.
Day 04: Bedni – Bhagwabasa (9Kms/7Hrs)
Today’s trail weaves through undulating meadows and up to to a place called Ghora Lotni. This is the last point to which horses climb, after which they return, hence the name. But you’ll be trekking onwards to Bhagwabasa, where you’ll stay for the night. Try to go to bed early tonight, because you’ll have an early start tomorrow. Overnight stay is in tents.
Day 05: Bhagwabasa – Roopkund (3Kms/4Hrs)
Today we will trek to Tokpo Gongma with packed lunch via Tokpo Yogma River. In this trek we will use ropes for crossing the streams. On arrival set out camp for dinner and overnight stay.
Day 06: Roopkund – Lohajung (15Kms/10Hrs)
You’ll begin your homeward trek today. It’s a pleasant trek through Bedni Bugyal, and after that the meadows end. On a clear day, Mt. Trishul is visible in all its glory. The trail takes trekkers through a beautiful rhododendron forest. On reaching Wan village, you’ll be driven to Lohajung. Overnight in tents
Day 07: Lohajung – Kathgodam
You’ll eat a hearty breakfast this morning, and then say goodbye to the mountains. You’ll board vehicles and begin the long drive back to Kathgodam. It’ll take you all day, but you’ll be happy to rest your legs after days of trekking. You’ll be dropped off at Kathgodam by about 17:00 hrs. Trip ends here.
Trip officially ends.
Ex-Kathgodam: Adult: ₹11,200/-* per head on triple sharing basis
Group Requisite: 10 pax
|Lohajung||Lodge or Similar||Standard|
- 06 night’s accommodation on triple/Quad sharing at the hotels & tents mentioned above or similar as per the itinerary.
- 02 night in lodge/Guest house
- 04 nights in tent
- Daily breakfast, lunch & dinner as per the itinerary
- Sleeping bags and mattresses during trek
- Local Guides accompanying the group
- Staff: Guide, cook, helpers, trekking mules/horse or porters.
- Camping & forest fees/permits etc.
- Trekking equipment such as Crampons, Slings, carabiners, Oxygen cylinder
- Medical first aid supply
- All transfers will be by non-air-conditioned transportation.
- Road taxes, parking fee, fuel charges and interstate taxes.
- 24Hrs First Aid Kit
- Expertise and service charges
- Leader charges
- Trek Leader from The Tern Travellers
- GST 5%
- Train fare/ Airfare to/ from Kathgodam.
- Additional / personal use of vehicle.
- Travel insurance covering medical evacuation, hospitalization, air evacuation, baggage insurance and trip cancellation.
- Extended stay due to weather conditions or any situation not in human control.
- Personal equipment like clothes, shoes, daypacks, personal medical kit etc.
- Entry fees to Museums, parks, etc.
- Any emergency expenses due to reasons beyond our normal control
- Any personal expenses, room service and special orders, mineral waters, non-alcoholic beverages, tips, phone calls, laundry etc.
- Any extra excursions or sightseeing apart from the above specified itinerary.
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
- Anything Specifically NOT mentioned in includes.
|PAYMENT SCHEDULE (Per person)|
|At the time of booking||25%|
|30 days prior to departure||50%|
|15 days prior to departure||100%|
|Cancellation period||Cancellation Charges on Cost|
|21 – 35 days||25%|
|21 – 14 days||50%|
|14 – 07 days||75%|
|Less than 07 days or No show||100%|
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- It is assumed that the Guests booking the tour are medically fit to travel on tour and also that he/she is aware about the tour programme and the different activities that shall be undertaken during the tour. In case of any health related issues on tour, Guests are expected to be equipped to handle it on their own. Tour Manager can give assistance in such cases but it will not be possible to give complete attention.
- Payment of the registration amount only shows that the Guest is interested in going for the tour. All the services like hotel accommodation voucher, drivel details, etc. shall be confirmed only on receipt of the full and final payment.
- The Tern Travellers reserves the right to cancel and forfeit the paid amount in case of non-payment of full tour cost before departure.
- For any reason if The Tern Travellers bears any cost on behalf of the Guest, he/she must reimburse the amount to the Company within the designated time.
- The Tern Travellers reserves the rights to modify or alter the tour itinerary in case of force majeure conditions (Political reason/Natural Calamities). Changes shall be informed to Guests at the earliest. Guests shall pay any additional charges applicable in such cases. Other than force majeure for any other unavoidable circumstance, if the Company curtails or cancels a certain day’s sightseeing, refund for the concerned portion of the sightseeing/tour shall be given to the Guests. The Company will not be responsible for any other kind of refund.
- Transport provided for the entire tour is as per group size. Skipper has rights to allocate as per the group size.
- Twin sharing accommodation is provided at all locations. In case of Extra Adult, mattress will be provided.
- In case Guest misses any meal for any reason, no refund will be given.
- Tour managers will be assisting travellers throughout the tour and they will not be responsible for loss of any Guest’s baggage or any kind of personal belongings. Guests will be solely responsible for their bags and belongings. Guests should follow information and instructions given by tour managers. The Company is not responsible for the consequences that may result from not following such instructions.
- Alcohol and narcotics are strictly prohibited.