Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary:
Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary is located in Ballari district in Karnataka. It is spread over 82.72 km2 (31.94sq mi). The sanctuary was created exclusively for the preservation of the sloth bear. It is about 50 km from Ballari and about 15 km from the World Heritage Site Hampi. The area between Daroji in Sandur taluka and Ramasagar of Hospet Taluk is host to numerous sloth bears.
The flora of this sanctuary is primarily dry deciduous scrub and Southern thorn forests. At the time of declaration of the sanctuary, it was a large area of barren hillocks, but persistent efforts from Karnataka Forest Department have transformed the area into lush green forest, filled with local flora.
The sanctuary’s flagship species is the Indian sloth bear (Melursus ursinus). It has a very stable population of sloth bears and they reside in the numerous caves found in the hillocks within the sanctuary. Leopards, monitor lizards, mongoose, pangolins, star tortoises etc. are some of the other animals that abound in the sanctuary.
The bears are threatened due to illegal mining in fragmented areas of the adjoining forests. The forest department and NGOs have also rescued many domestic bears from Daroji and surrounding areas. The age old practice of capturing a bear cub (claws are pulled out and male cubs are castrated) and domestication by Kalandars has reduced to a great extent, due to laws declaring them illegal.
It is estimated that about 120 Sloth Bears are living in this sanctuary, apart from Leopards, Hyena, Jackals, Wild Boars, Porcupine, Pangolins, Star Tortoise, Monitor Lizard, Mongoose, Pea Fowls, Partridges, Painted Spur Hen, and Quails etc. About 90 species of birds and 27 species of butterflies have also been identified in this sanctuary in a preliminary survey.
Indian Sloth Bear is confined to India and Sri Lanka only. Its scientific (Zoological) name is Melursus ursimus. It has long, dark unkempt coat of hair with a characteristic v-shaped chevron on its chest.
Fore limbs are longer than the hind limbs. The hairless feet are armed with white, blunt, curved claws, which extend up to three inches. Hairless webs unite the pads of the fingertips. Though the head is comparatively large, the Sloth Bears have relatively small ears and eyes. Hence their sense of hearing and vision is poor. But they have outstanding sense of smell.
Region Ballari, Karnataka
No of Days Ex – Hubli 03 Days
Grade Jungle Safari Easy
Type Wildlife Safari
|Day 1||Hubli – Hampi/Daroji – Evening Safari||Resort||L,D|
|Day 2||Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary (Morning and Evening)||Resort||B,L,D|
|Day 3||Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary – Hubli||B|
Day 1: Hubli – Hampi/Daroji – Evening Safari
Arrive at Hubli Railway station and meet our representative. Transfer to vehicles and drive to Daroji. Arrive at Daroji resort, check in and rejuvenate. Lunch will be served and vehicles for Safari would be ready to drive you in the forest. Return from safari for tea and relax. Early dinner followed by early light off.
Day 2: Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary (Morning and Evening)
Drive for early Morning safari in Daroji Sanctuary after pre-dawn tea and later return back to resort for breakfast. Until Lunch relax or explore Hampi. Post lunch evening safari in Daroji sanctuary. Later in the evening wildlife documentaries will be shown or showcasing your pics on the big screen. Dinner will be served and call it off a day.
Day 3: Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary – Hubli
After breakfast check out from the resort. Drive to Hubli for drop at station. Do not forget to be a part of a Group photo.
Tour officially ends here.
Ex-Mumbai: Indians: Adult: ₹15,400/-*** per head
Ex-Hubli: Indians: Adult: ₹12,500/- per head
|Daroji||Jungle Lodge & Resorts or Similar||3*|
***Note: Above mentioned hotel are subject to change depending on the group size or similar category hotels will be offered.
- Return 3AC train fare from Mumbai****
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in above mentioned.
- Return transfers by AC Vehicle.
- Meals as per mentioned in the itinerary.
- Safari charges, forest permits, guide charges.
- Safari gypsy (5pax per gypsy)
- Wildlife documentaries at hotel
- The Tern Travellers Wildlife naturalist cum Leader
- Leader Charges
- GST 5%
- Additional / personal use of vehicle.
- Extended stay due to weather conditions or any situation not in human control.
- Any personal expenses, room service and special orders, mineral waters, non-alcoholic beverages, tips, phone calls, laundry etc.
- Any extra excursions or sightseeing apart from the above specified itinerary.
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
- Camera fees.
- Adventure sports at the property.
- Airfares/Rail fares
- Anything Specifically NOT mentioned in includes.
|PAYMENT SCHEDULE (Per person)|
|At the time of booking||50%|
|21 days before Departure||75%|
|14 days before departure||100%|
- The Tern Travellers reserves the right to cancel and forfeit the paid amount in case of payment schedule not followed.
|Cancellation period||Cancellation Charges on Cost|
|More than 30 days||25%|
|30 to 21 days||50%|
|21 to 07 days||80%|
|Less than 07 days or No show||100%|
Things to Carry:
- A Hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- A dust protection mask
- Personal Bottle (To avoid plastic use – 1LtrsX2)
- Small backpack for safaris (10Ltrs)
- Bird books
- Sun screen
- Only dull coloured clothes (Green, brown, Beige, Camouflage)
- Camera (At owners risk) with proper equipment for photography (As per need)
- Fleece/Jacket (temperatures drop in the forest to below 10 degree Celsius
- Energy bars for safaris
- Wildlife safaris are a matter of luck and opportunity. No guarantee of any sighting is made. Neither of our associates will quote that, although we try our best to spot and show you as much as nature allows us to.
- Never enter the forest with an intention of spotting a single species, it will only disappoint you. The forest is a gift packet with a lot to surprise with. Listen to our naturalist for more wonderful experience.
- Our safaris are not target species specific (Unless specified)
- We explore everything we find uncommon and need to be explained.
- Any demand for spotting a single species in any jeep will not be entertained by the guide or the tour leader as there are other travellers who would want to see the birds etc.
- Respect & honour everything that is in the forest and it has to offer you.
- Enjoy being in the forest and you will feel much happier away from the concrete chaos.
- Respect the local, tribes, guards, guides, drivers, officers and all animals.
- Front seat of the Gypsy is always reserved for the Guide or Guard.
- No extra room will be made for photographers, respecting other travellers. (For photographers it is recommended to opt for higher options)
- No littering in the forest strictly. (what goes comes back the same way)
- Camera fees & guide tips to be paid separately & directly.
- Kindly follow the instructions given by the tour leader and the guide for your own safety.
Departure dates: 28th Nov 2019
Total seats: 10 each batch
(The above rate is valid until June 2020 for all departure dates mentioned above except Christmas/New year vacation)